First Communion is a very important and valuable moment in the life of the young faithful and for their family. In fact, this is the first time that the child is permitted to receive the Eucharist, after a long process of catechesis.
First Communion can therefore be considered one of the milestones of “Christian initiation”, together with Baptism and Confirmation. Pope Francis said, “By this sacrament of love, comes every authentic path of faith, of communion and testimony.”
However, the First Communion is also a festive occasion, and to make it truly memorable, we want to give you some helpful advice.
- Clothing for the First Communion. Young people about to receive the sacrament are usually given an alb that they will have to wear for the ceremony. To the alb, you can also add a dress to wear during the Communion or during the reception that follows. In general, the alb must be white and a quite simple shape.
- Head wreaths or veils for the First Communion. Girls often choose a simple hairstyle, enriched by a white veil or a wreath of flowers and ribbons.
- First Communion Bonbonnière. The favours will be offered to guests. They will naturally contain confetti and represent a beautiful memory for the future. There are many types of favours for First Communion in the form of ornaments, small jewellery, rosaries, icons, etc.
- Souvenirs. If you choose a nicer or maybe personalised First Communion Party Favour, homemade by you, make sure that the guests have any kind of souvenir to cherish, even a prayer card or a card maybe made by the little celebrated child.
- The Gift. It is customary that the child receives a gift on this occasion, something important, especially from a symbolic point of view.
- Reception. This can be organised at home or at a restaurant, and should involve the child and his friends, so they really can associate this day with a very special party.
- The cake. Even the cake must satisfy eyes and taste, but also reminds us of the reason for celebrating, perhaps with decorations that remind us of Communion.
- Photographs. Like all great events, the First Communion deserves to be remembered and documented by an extensive photo reportage. If you do not want to rely on a professional, simply rely on the enthusiasm of friends and relatives.
- Flowers. As decorations for the church or as gift for the child, the flowers will be a precious asset. Strictly white, for tradition and for the value and religious meaning. Pale pink is allowed. The flowers will be decorated with simple ribbons. Favorites are calla lilies, white roses, lilies, daisies.
- Book. A beautiful edition of the Gospel or the Bible, or a prayer book for kids can be a nice gift for the First Communion and a precious memory for the life of the young faithful.