Russian icon, Our Lady of Vladimir measuring 14x11cm.
The icon of Our Lady Wladimirsko
This icon of Our Lady of Wladimirsko has been worshipped as a holy National object.
From an iconographic point of view, this icon belongs to the group "consolation".
It was taken from Constantinople to a small town close to Kiev and in 1155 the prince Sogolubski decided to move it to the city of Wladimiro (Russia). The icon then became famous with the name Wladimirska.
Like a patron saint, the prince took the icon wherever he went fighting. In 1395, when Moscow was threatened by Timur, the icon was taken to the capital in the orthodox church in the Kremlin, called Synod of the Blessed Virgin Mary dormented, where it remained until 1918.
From 1918 to 1930 the icon belonged to the Russian National History Museum, then it was transferred to the Trietakowska National Gallery.
This type of icon became very popular in the Russian iconographic tradition.
Handmade and hand painted following the principles of the Russian icon schools, this icon is coated with gold leaf on lime wood.
It is delivered in a box with certificate of authenticity.
- Model: IC090247
- Shipping Weight: 0.3Kg
- Materials: Wood, levkas, gold leaf
- Origin: Russia
- Height: 14 cm
- Width: 11 cm
- Height: 5.51 in
- Width: 4.33 in